Saturday, May 12, 2012

Gold and It's Many Uses Part 2


Along with being symbols of power, beauty, purity and accomplishment. Gold has been used most as currency. Throughout history gold has been closely linked to monetary value. The first gold coins were minted in the Lydia Kingdom within the ancient region of Asia Minor (Turkey) around 610 BC. The first coins minted in China are thought to date around 600 BC.

Its interesting to me, the connection between Gold and money. The value of gold today, one ounce represents $1638 American dollars. Even at such a high rate, there is not enough gold to cover the amount of paper money we have printed. What if one day, our printed paper was no longer accepted? Growing up in a world surrounded by this paper given monetary value. I've seen the power of inflation and what a few choice people can do to determine the value of the printed paper. That is why as I get older, I'm finding that maybe I should not put all my monetary "eggs" into one basket. That being diversified truly means have more diversification. Stocks, Bonds, and Money Markets, those all rely on the paper money system. I'd like to have a part of my "eggs" placed into something tangible, something that has withstood the test of time and continues to be on the rise. That's where Gold, Silver and other precious metals come into play. There's a reason for the term "worth it's wait in gold" and I'd like to make it understood I'm most certainly not dismissing other investment opportunities, I am simply stating my case that precious metals have a firm place in my investment portfolio.

Though I explained earlier I was not simply try to sell more coins. It wouldn't be wise to withhold the use of coins as an example of the prominence of gold.


To the left is what is widely considered the world's first minted Gold coin. Known as "The Lydian Lion", played a large role in the coinage we know today. It weighed 4.71 grams made of a gold and silver alloy.

To the right is as fine example as any coin in establishing the distance mankind has come from our  coinage ancestry. This is a Canada 2011 CAD $350 .999 Gold Proof Coin weighing in just over a troy ounce at 35 grams. This particular coin is representative of a Mount Avens Rose. A rose found at high altitudes in the mountains of western Canada. The dryas integrifolia is a hardy species that was declared the official floral emblem of the northwest territories in 1957.

Between these two coins lies a wealth of rare modern world numismatics, awaiting eager collectors, avid investors and centuries to come of maintaining golds place in the world.

Remember, there are no guarantees about whether or not a coin or any collectible, material thing or instrument in any asset class will increase in value and past performance of a coin's return is not indicative of future results.

No comments: